David

Henry

Jack

Katie

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Run for Katie

When we decided in my office one afternoon to do our Run for Katie, I thought it would just be a few of our friends who would run.  Never in my wildest imagination did I consider that someone I literally have never met would be willing to help our family.  However, that's exactly what happened.  There will never be a way for us to thank people who literally help us bring our child home to our family.  We will certainly try, but I don't know how you thank someone for that. 

Meet Misty, in her own words.

My name is Misty and I am a wife to Adam and a mother to Ella (nearly 7) and Elijah (2).   I'm a stay-at-home mom, a part-time radiography student at Vol State, a Girl Scout troop leader, and an avid runner.  I wasn't always a runner; in fact, until last year I had never even ran a mile before and had been obese most of my adult life.  It's very much a Forrest Gump story actually - one day I just started running!  Within six months I had lost 65 lbs. (over 1/3 of my body weight), lost 7 pant sizes, but most of all, learned more about myself that I'd learned in the previous twenty-eight years combined.  It was definitely the hardest and best year old my life. 
 
 
 
As if losing so much weight wasn't enough, I also discovered that I'm a fairly good runner!  Within six months of running, I had:
 
 
Ran my first 5k, coming in 3rd (out of 24 ) in my division, in 23:51
Ran my first 10K, coming in 2nd (out of 33) in my division, in 51:59
And I ran my first half - The Middle Half, coming in 10th (out of 163) in my division/top 15% overall, in 1:48:27
 
 
 
This year, having endured a major surgery and a tear in my achilles, I definitely won't be smashing any personal records,  Instead, I want to run for a cause.  I considered raising money for St. Jude's, but sleeping in shabby hotel rooms in Memphis before running a marathon the next day really isn't my thing.  I considered running for Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure as an honor to my mother, who is fighting hard every day with Stage 3 breast cancer; and it's not that I don't want to fund breast cancer research, but my efforts wouldn't be as apparent.  As a long time blog follower of Kim's, I was nothing shy of STOKED to see her newest fundraiser for that precious angel who waits for them on the other side of the world.  Finally, something I could do and witness firsthand the fruits of my fundraising labor!  One look at that sweet girl's face and I knew this was right up my alley!
 
 
 
I'm a good runner.  I'm a good mother.  I'm (sometimes!) a good wife.  But my goodness is a grain of sand compared to the goodness of the Simpson family and their  mission to adopt little Kate.  If running a marathon and raising money (or begging...whatever works) is what I can do to save her, I'm willing to run a thousand marathons!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. How did this both embarass me and leave me teary-eyed?? What...a sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wished I could enjoy running. But running for a cause would be well worth it. So glad you have support of people helping you get your sweet daughter home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspirational story! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good luck in the run

    Jackie Greenfield
    Chloe's Prayer Warrior

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments!